Vegan Cream of Mushroom and Wild Rice Soup
This recipe is out of this world delicious! It's just as creamy and savory as ever, but much healthier than other versions. If you love mushrooms, you will love this soup!
Author: Happy To Be Raw
Recipe type: Soup
Serves: 6 servings
- 1 cup dry wild rice
- 1 head or 2 pounds cauliflower-chopped
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 4 cups unsweetened coconut, rice or almond milk
- 1.5 teaspoons onion powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ground pepper to taste
- 24 oz baby portabella mushrooms- chopped into bite sized pieces
- ½ yellow onion-diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 heaping teaspoon ground thyme
- Cook 1 cup wild rice with 3 cups water in a medium sized pot. Bring to boil, then turn heat down to low and simmer with lid on for 45 mins-1 hour until tender. Drain excess water when done, remove from heat, and remove lid. Set aside if done before the rest of the soup.
- Chop cauliflower into pieces and put into large pot with vegetable stock, coconut, rice or almond milk, onion powder, salt, and ground pepper. Mix everything together, bring to boil, then turn heat down to low and let simmer until cauliflower is soft.
- Separately, chop mushrooms into small pieces and chop onion finely. Sauté the onion first with olive oil in a different large pot until onions are soft. Add the mushrooms, ground thyme, and ground pepper. Allow mushrooms to cook down for 5-10 mins, stirring periodically.
- Turn heat off both pots. Spoon 2 ladles of cooked mushrooms and onions into the pot with the cauliflower.
- Use an immersion blender or transfer mixture into regular blender and blend the cauliflower pot completely smooth.
- Transfer blended soup into the pot with the rest of the mushrooms and onion.
- Stir in the cooked wild rice.
- Serve and enjoy!
Serving size: 638.22g Calories: 227.20g Fat: 7.24g Saturated fat: 0.91g Unsaturated fat: 5.55g Trans fat: 0g Carbohydrates: 35.83g Sugar: 6.68g Sodium: 321.72mg Fiber: 8.64g Protein: 9.68g Cholesterol: 0mg