Sweet Potato and Black Bean Tacos with Spicy Avocado Salsa Verde
One of our all time favorite recipes!! It's not a typical combination for tacos, but one bite, and you will want to eat these every day! Sweet and Spicy meet in the middle of a delicious taco!
Author: Happy To Be Raw
Cuisine: Mexican Tacos
Recipe type: Vegan
Serves: 4 Servings
- 3 Medium Sweet Potatoes
- 1-2 Tablespoons Cold Pressed Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Cumin
- ½ Teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- ¼-1/2 Teaspoon Cayenne Powder
- Salt & Pepper
- Tortillas - Corn or Whole Wheat
- 1 Jar Roasted Red Peppers - Cut into Small Pieces
- 1 Can Black Beans - Rinsed & Drained
- 1 Small Red Onion - Diced
- 1 Head Iceberg Lettuce - Chopped
Avocado Salsa Verde Sauce
- 2 Small or 1 Large Ripe Avocado
- 1 Cup Medium Tomatillo Salsa Verde
- 1-2 Garlic Cloves - Roughly Chopped
- 1 Lime Juiced
- ¼-1/2 Cup Packed Cilantro Leaves
- ¼ Cup water - Use a little at a time to thin as necessary
- Preheat Oven to 450F
- Peel and Chop Sweet Potatoes into small bite-sized chunks
- Toss the Sweet Potatoes with Olive Oil, Cumin, Smoked Paprika, Cayenne, and Salt & Pepper until lightly coated on all pieces
- Pour Sweet Potatoes on a Large Baking Sheet lined with Parchment Paper or a non-stick Silpat
- Arrange Sweet Potatoes in a single layer, not overcrowded on the Baking Sheet
- Bake Sweet Potatoes for 40-45 Minutes,stirring and flipping half way through baking time, until they are cooked through and caramelized around the edges.
- Make the Avocado Salsa Verde in a food processor or high speed blender.
- Combine the Avocado, Garlic, Salsa Verde, Lime Juice, and ¼ of the Cilantro Leaves. Add water to thin as necessary or if desired. Add the rest of the cilantro and pulse a few times to lightly blend into the sauce.
- Warm tortillas on a parchment lined baking sheet in the still 450F oven for 3-5 minutes, or warm them on a flat, cast iron skillet on low-medium heat for 15-30 seconds each side.
- Assemble Tacos/Burritos (Depending on the size of your tortillas) with the Tortillas, Sweet Potatoes, Black Beans, Roasted Red Peppers, Red Onion, Iceberg Lettuce, and Avocado Salsa Verde Sauce.
For the best results and the perfect creamy texture, use a vitamix blender to blend your Avocado Salsa Verde Sauce.